On top of spaghetti, all covered in cheese…I lost my poor meatball, when somebody sneezed!
I cannot eat meatballs and spaghetti without singing that song, it reminds me of being a kid and always makes J giggle!
Spaghetti is one of my favourite things and I can eat it by the bucketful, often with just a sprinkle of cheese on top if I can’t be bothered to cook! I love that I can eat it whilst following the Slimming World plan without having to limit my portion size. Last night I decided to make some simple meatballs with a tomato sauce to pile on top of my pasta. I used 60g of chorizo in my sauce for 6 syns but you could easily leave this out to make the meal completely free.
- 250g lean turkey mince
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp celery powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 3 spring onions chopped (or 1/2 red onion)
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1 large (2 small) carrots grated
- 60g chorizo chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 carton passata
- 200g dried spaghetti
- 80g reduced fat cheddar grated
- Sweat the onions, carrots and pepper in a pan to soften then add the chorizo.
- Add the puree and cook for a few minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes and passata.
- Leave to simmer.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients in a bowl and then shape into 8 meatballs - the more you mix the better the meatballs will hold together.
- Brown the meatballs in a frying pan, turning regularly.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Cook your pasta as per packet instructions, once cooked add a little of the drained water to the sauce to loosen it.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce on the pasta with the grated cheese (he a) if using.
- 6 syns & your Healthy Extra A - leave out the chorizo for syn free